Sunday, August 4, 2013

Give the Kid a Contract!

The Fine Five - August 4, 2013
(1) Still not linked to Major League Baseball's Biogenesis PED investigation. Thank God they haven't discovered the prescription steroids I was popping in the summer of 2006 due to a bowling injury. (Yes, bowling.) It was during that time frame the doctor asked me, point blank and out of the blue, "Have you ever been shot?" I stared at him, and finally responded, "You mean, like, with a gun?" "Yes." "Not to the best of my knowledge, why?" He then directed my attention to two x-rays of my right elbow area and pointed at a black dot, about the size of a pen tip, that appeared on both. "This is a piece of metal that's lodged in your arm. I'm not sure how it got there." Seven years later, I'm not sure either, but I brace myself whenever going through airport security.
(1a) Nor have I been caught selling my autograph in potential violation of NCAA rules like Johnny Manziel, so my college sports eligibility is still pretty much intact when I decide to go back to school again.
(2) Downloaded four songs to update my workout mix: "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, "We Can't Stop" by Miley Cyrus, "Gone, Gone, Gone" by Phillip Phillips, and "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke. Still trying to find a downloadable version of the version with Jimmy Fallon and The Roots.
(3) Whilst walking the Wellington Green mall, bought a new iPhone cover (this one is sort of like a wallet, with areas to store credit cards, money, etc.).
(4) Getting a bit more creative with the "cooking" thing; bought a salmon-specific seasoning (Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning) at Publix, tried it (on the salmon, duh!) with a side of Near East rice pilaf. Delicious!
(5) Shout out to the Detroit Tigers, who swept the hapless Chicago White Sox at Comerica Park today. Yeah, it took extras, and was only the second walk-off win for Los Tigres this year, but it keeps them three games up of the Cleveland Indians heading into this week's four-game tilt at Progressive Field.
Foodercize
WEIGHT: 238 (down 2 pounds from yesterday, down 13 pounds from June 23, 2013)
STEPS TAKEN: 12,205
MILES WALKED: 6.5
CALORIES CONSUMED: 1,655
DAILY CALORIE GOAL: 2,825 (1,890 + 935 earned through exercise)
Stupid News of the Day
From NBC News: "Twice burned: Paying taxes on stolen money" - Yes, you still need to pay those pesky penalties when withdrawing from your IRA early ... even if it was because you were duped.
Weird News of the Day
From Deadspin: A minor league baseball player struck out on one pitch. Let me repeat that: ON. ONE. PITCH. Even Rob Deer and Adam Dunn have never achieved that (to the best of my knowledge).
Hopeful News of the Day
From Scientific America: "Human Cells Make Mice Smarter" - Algernon 1, Charlie Gordon on deck?
Video of the Day
Cancer Survivor Scores TD At Cleveland Browns Practice - I love moments like this! Sure beats dealing with all the aforementioned steroids/PED bullshit we're forced to deal with as sports fans and human beings. Thinking the Browns could use a sure-fire RB to score on occasion, too; give him a contract!








No comments:

Post a Comment