Saturday, August 10, 2013

Star Wars Speed Dating

The Fine Five - August 10, 2013

(1) Here's why I am really loving my new (OK, pre-owned 2009) Toyota Prius: I last filled the tank on July 26, which is more than two weeks ago. I've driven more than 400 miles since then. And the fuel tank is still around 20 percent full. I'm really liking this +/- 47 miles-per-gallon and filling up (around 10-11 gallons per tank) twice a month thing. I think I can handle this. Yeah.

(2) Today must have been "bump into the world and them some" day at The Mall at Wellington Green. First was Wellington Debate alum Lee Parker, during my Panera Bread pow-wow with a current debate student, while one of my former drama students was working at the eatery. Then, while power walking, another debate alum, Michael Reynolds, magically appeared in my visual scope, followed shortly thereafter by debate parents David and Rona Eisenson. Add this to seeing former Wellington debater Lee-Ann Jahore yesterday, and it felt like all that was missing was my yearbook.

(3) During said walk, there was a power surge of some sort, where main lights in the mall dimmed quite a bit, and the escalators stopped. Several stores inside the mall apparently lost power, but I didn't think anything else, since most of the stores were still functioning as normal. Turns out it was a bit larger than I thought; traffic lights in the area were out, and a number of businesses along the mall's "ring" road had to close early due to a lack of power.

And, of course, no mention of the cause anywhere in the media.

(4) Pulled the coffee maker out of its resting place (the storage unit). No, I don't drink coffee, but I've decided to bring the Sunbeam Hot Shot water boiler/dispenser into the classroom ... and said coffee maker will take its spot in the kitchen. Perfect for getting hot water ready for oatmeal, cocoa, or tea in the morning. (The Hot Shot will be nice to have in the classroom to do many of the same things ...)

(5) Word has it the Detroit Pistons are discussing signing Jason Collins to a contract this year. In case you're still not up to speed, Collins is the individual who in April revealed himself as the first openly gay male athlete in one of North America's major team sports. I think it would be a great move for the rebuilt Pistons, who could use Collins' size and presence off the bench. I hope the deal gets done soon, and that Collins has a positive impact in Detroit, and on the game as a whole.

Foodercize

WEIGHT: 238
STEPS TAKEN: 10,679
MILES WALKED: 5.01
CALORIES CONSUMED: 1,845
DAILY CALORIE GOAL: 2,505 (1,890 + 615 earned through exercise)

Stupid News of the Day

From The St. Louis Post-Dispatch: "Pujols says he'll sue; Clark, Slaten lose radio jobs" - In other news, to my friends who always wanted to go into sports-talk radio ... there's a couple of job openings!

Weird News of the Day

From The Times and Democrat: "SC man charged with smearing buttered toast on SUV" - No word on the type of bread involved. I'm putting money on pumpernickel.

Video of the Day

Star Wars Speed Dating: Remember ... it's not the size of the light saber, it's how you use it that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment