Monday, August 5, 2013

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty!!

After months of media speculation and dawdling, the worst kept secret in American sports has happened: a baker's dozen of Major League Baseball players - some megastars, some not even close to stardom - have had the proverbial hammer brought down on them by the MLB powers that be for their association with anabolic steroids and performance enhancing drugs (PEDs). This include suspending New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez through the end of the 2014 season (covering 211 games), and banning 12 others for 50 games, including three All-Stars: Nelson Cruz of the Texas Rangers, Everth Cabrera of the San Diego Padres and Jhonny Peralta of the Detroit Tigers.

In other news from the Obvious Gazette: water is wet, frequent sex increases the chance of pregnancy, overeating can cause obesity, and bridges help people cross rivers. Hell, it's so bad, even fucking al-Qaida is juicing these days!

All of the players were found to have been involved with Biogenesis, a south Florida anti-aging clinic which is believed to have supplied the players with PEDs, and comes on the heels of Milwaukee Brewers' star Ryan Braun accepting a 65-game suspension last month for the same association with Biogenesis. All but Rodriguez chose not to fight the fight and accept the 50-game suspensions, whilst Rodriguez is appealing the penalty.

Seemingly every time there's a major penalty laid down on a high-profile entertainer, politician, athlete, etc., I am reminded of the May 29, 1973 Doonesbury strip, where enthusiastic radio talk show host Mark Zonker voiced his opinion of US Attorney General John Mitchell during the Watergate scandal: “Guilty! Guilty, guilty, guilty!!”

Most of the players either sent out carefully-worded press releases or stepped behind a podium to address the charges. Peralta, who the Tigers signed three years ago, was one of the few who seemed to accept full responsibility for his actions, displaying no arrogance or defiance, and issued what I believe is as sincere an apology as we've seen in the media from high-profile individuals. Point-blank, Peralta messed up, and made no excuses:

“In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers’ organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball, and my family. I take full responsibility for my actions, have no excuses for my lapse in judgment, and I accept my suspension.

“I love the fans, my teammates and this organization, and my greatest punishment is knowing that I have let so many good people down. I promise to do everything possible to try and earn back the respect that I have lost.”

Peralta has never been announced as failing a drug test. The evidence in the Biogenesis case appears to rest on evidence other than direct testing.

Unfortunately, too often the apologies presented by our "heroes" come off sounding more like "I'm sorry I got caught," rather than "I'm sorry for what I did." Take the aforementioned Rodriguez, who - when asked during a press conference in Chicago if he denied using PEDs - said, "We'll have a forum to discuss all of that and we'll talk about it then."

Braun's "apology" (I'll let Sports Illustrated's Michael Rosenberg explain the quotation marks) included the following: "I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization ... I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

Sorry, guys ... in today's society, anything short of an absolute "I have never done steroids or PEDs" is an admission of guilt (and in some cases, even that's not enough). By evading the topic, you have left yourself open to criticism and a belief that, well, since you didn't deny it, you're guilty of the crime as charged. That's how it works in today's hypermedia society, where the public has been lied to so many times, even an absolute denial can seem skeptical.

Cruz said his punishment was a result of "an error in judgment," saying he had been seriously ill in early 2012 with a gastrointestinal infection called helicobacter pylori that went undiagnosed for more than a month. In other words, an excuse.

Sigh.

In the wake of the Braun "apology," USA Today reporter Chris Chase posted a must-read primer on dealing with offering legitimate (or, at least, legitimate-sounding) apologies called "Ryan Braun and the seven rules for athlete apologies." This handy guide ought to be required reading for all of these fucking idiots who think they are above the law and who, having been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, are sent to the penalty box to feel shame.

Whether athletes or anyone else who wants their apologies to come off legit.

The Fine Five - August 5, 2013

(1) Last night at sundown, I lit a candle in memory of my father; today is the 25th anniversary of my father's death, based on the Hebrew calendar. Next Monday is the same anniversary based on the Gregorian calendar. O-seh shalom bim romov ...

(2) Last full week of "freedom" for a while (Palm Beach County School District teachers officially return to the classroom next week).

(3) Officially started the "was at work all day, then went to the mall to walk serious laps" routine. It's easier when I'm at work in a t-shirt, workout shorts, and walking shoes. Once classes start, I'll need to remember to bring the outfit separate, as I'm not sure students would take me seriously whilst lecturing in such an outfit. Speaking of which ...

(4) Today was the first day in a while where I didn't feel any pain whatsoever after pounding out roughly 6-7 miles on tile floors. Maybe I'm getting used to this thing?

(5) Hey, Detroiters - don't forget to go to the polls tomorrow, it's primary election day! The next Mayor of Motown, as well as the makeup of your city council, depend on your being an active, informed participant of the democratic process. Please make wise decisions!

Foodercize

WEIGHT: 238
STEPS TAKEN: 14,385
MILES WALKED: 7.26
CALORIES CONSUMED: 1,800
DAILY CALORIE GOAL: 3,224 (1,890 + 1,334 earned through exercise)

Weird News of the Day

From The Grand Island Independent: "4-year-old mayor is re-elected in northern Minn." - Can't be worse than Kwame Kilpatrick!

Stupid News of the Day

From WTOP-FM: "Put on the brakes! It's 'Stop on Red Week'" - I can't wait for next Monday, when I can resume running those lights and signs again!.

Video of the Day

Rex Kwan Do! There's no reason in particular I went with a Napoleon Dynamite clip, it just sort of happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment