Thursday, July 16, 2015

Jameis Winston, Aisle 5

THE FINE FIVE:

(1) Even though President Obama had (to the best of my knowledge) nothing to do with the removal of Civil War colors, he was greeted by Confederate Flag wavers in Oklahoma today. Why? The protesters (what are they protesting?) claim its "heritage," not "hate," but why is he being greeted in such a manner? It hasn't been banned outright (however, it has been removed from government properties). Obama hasn't said he wanted to ban the flag (again, to the best of my knowledge). He's a constitutional lawyer who understands and believes in 1st Amendment rights which allow citizens to fly whatever flag they wish. So why is he greeted in every city he's visited since Charleston in this way? I'm assuming they have points to make; anyone? And ... WHEN WAS OKLAHOMA A MEMBER OF THE CONFEDERACY?

(2) Apparently, Obama became the first sitting president to visit a federal prison (Richard Nixon was probably in line to be the first; oh wait, he resigned before that could take place.) The federal prison in Oklahoma that houses former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Message to Obama: do not pardon him!

(3) I covered the Royal Palm Beach Village Council meeting this evening as a reporter for the Town-Crier newspaper in western Palm Beach County. During a lengthy public hearing on a series of requested site plan variances for an under-construction shopping plaza, the mayor leaned over to one of his fellow councilmen and muttered, "I'm gonna take a piss." I know this because it was caught on microphone, audible to the entire RPB viewing audience (both those in person and those watching on cable). I know I'm supposed to be a "fly on the wall" as a journalist, but I couldn't help laughing out loud as it broadcast through the air. Thankfully, I wasn't mic'd up.

(4) My condolences to the four Marines killed at two military centers in Chattanooga, Tennessee. May your memories be a blessing. 

(5) I have been fortunate enough to earn the National Speech & Debate Association's Distinguished Service Plaque - Second Honors, in recognition of the numerous hours of volunteer work I do for high school debate. The work that was considered for this recognition included recruiting new NSDA chapters and members, being a member of a district committee, chairing a district committee, hosting debate tournaments, managing debate tournaments, and operating debate tournaments. I am apparently only the 53rd debate coach in the NSDA's long and illustrious history to achieve this level, and I think that fact is more stunning to me than actually earning the honor in the first place. I am humbled to earn such accolades, and all it does is make me want to work harder and more effectively, because now I feel like I need to prove I'm worth of such recognition. (I recognize that seems a bit backwards, but that's how I view things; as Crash Davis opined to Nuke LaLoosh after the latter finally pitched a good inning, "The moment's over.") Infinite thanks from the bottom of my heart to everyone who helped me along the way - fellow coaches, debate parents, and members of Wellington Debate. Now the real fun begins ...

FOODERCIZE:
Weight: 246
Steps Taken: 5,012
Miles Walked: 2.29

CAMPAIGN 2016 NEWS OF THE DAY:

STUPID NEWS OF THE DAY:
From WOWT: "Would-Be Thief Too Tall to Steal Car" - Victim was 4'9"; no description of height of idiot, size of car. Or even make of car. Basically, this story has almost no details whatsoever.

FLORIDA NEWS OF THE DAY:
From The Orlando Sentinel - "Police release details about YouTube video showing fistfight at Publix" - Jameis Winston not connected to the situation ... yet. What does "yet" mean, anyway?


WEIRD NEWS OF THE DAY:
From Raw Story: "‘Absolutely nothing’ but usual quiet in Texas on first day of Jade Helm 15" - So, basically, my blog yesterday was worthless. Or the Speed Racer video brought some sensibility back to the world. Probably the latter.

SPORTS NEWS OF THE DAY:
From Bleacher Report: "AARP Fires Back at Tiger Woods over Retirement Comments" - "It's better to be over 50 than over par."

VIDEO OF THE DAY:
How to abbreviate in Australian, eh?



MUSIC VIDEO OF THE DAY:
"Don't Come Around Here No More," Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers



No comments:

Post a Comment