Saturday, September 7, 2013

No Underwear Required

The Fine Five - September 7, 2013
(1) FIRE UP CHIPS! My Central Michigan Chippewas looked pathetic at the start of today's game against New Hampshire (fucking NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!), trailing 13-0 early. But the Fighting Chips fought back and won on a field goal as time expired, 24-21. Play of the game: a 97-yard touchdown connection from QB Cooper Rush to receiver Titus Davis to tie the game in the fourth quarter.
(2) I'm still not very optimistic about the Chippewas' chances this year. Blown out by 50 at Michigan last week was painful, but - hey - it was Michigan. Barely surviving against New Hampshire this week? Sigh ... it's gonna be a long season.

(3) Joined David Traill and a slew of others on welcoming World War II veterans back from a day in the nation's capital as part of the Southeast Florida Honor Flight at Palm Beach International Airport. Honor Flight is a national nonprofit that sponsors free visits to Washington, D.C., war memorials for aging veterans.This was my second time joining Traill, currently a history teacher at Suncoast High School and a former coworker of mine when I started teaching at South Fork High School in Stuart in 1999. The last time I went with him was two years ago, when the program was much smaller in nature. There were hundreds in attendance tonight, including students from Suncoast and Cardinal Newman high schools, and Will and Simone Hoover, former debate parents of mine whose sons have both served in the United States Armed Forces. It was their first time at an Honor Flight celebration, and I doubt it will be their last.
(4) I don't eat fast food any more, but if I did, I'd still stay away from the new Burger King conception.
(5) There's days I wonder why I do my job. Education is under attack by political factions, we're underfunded and overstressed, and the amount of testing we need to put our students through is over-the-top stressful. But at least I don't have to deal with draconian district mandates about what I can wear on the job ... oh, wait. FUCK YOU, LITTLE ROCK!
Weird News of the Day
From Opposing Views: "Patient Sues After Anesthesiologist Puts Moustache, Tear Stickers On Her Face During Surgery'" - I'd sue, too ... I mean, it doesn't even LOOK like a real tattoo of a moustache and tears!
Stupid News of the Day
From Komo News: "On-duty detective allegedly caught with prostitute in bushes has resigned" - QUOTE OF THE STORY: "Narvaez was on duty but not in uniform." Duh!
Florida News of the Day
From The Orlando Sentinel: "Fashion police? Florida AG targets edgy L.A. store over 'Xanax' T-shirts" - The Florida AG should go after The Orlando Sentinel for embedding autoplay video stories with annoying commercials into their online stories instead ... or as well ...
Video of the Day
Has it really been 10 years today since Warren Zevon died? Sadly, yes.















No comments:

Post a Comment