Monday, July 28, 2008

2008 Road Trip - Entry 4

FRIDAY, JULY 25: I spent the morning having my fears confirmed at the Apple Store in Troy; my laptop's wireless card is either loose or in need of replacement, as I am unable to maintain receiving wireless signals. I'll be bringing in the laptop after returning home.

The limited wireless issue, combined with being extremely busy during Week 2 of my road trip, las limited my ability to enter updates. I'm a week behind, so I will try to present what's been going on, but I am sure it will not be as complete as it could be, since I am drawing on memories. Regardless ... here we go ...

After leaving the Apple Store, I treated myself to a much-needed pedicure at Somerset. My pedicurist was a 40-year-old former Iraqi who has been in the US for some 25+ years. We had a riveting discussion about the US presence in the Middle East, and were on the same page on many of our thoughts. It was a very enriching time together.

Friday evening, Jeff Falcon and I went to Comerica to watch the Tigers take on the White Sox in a pivotal division game. Sadly, the Tigers lost when the human heart attack, Todd Jones, served up a game-losing shot in the top of the ninth. The night started out great, with Jeff and I planted on the rooftop of Cheli's Chili Bar, a wonderful view of Comerica and the area after being winded by a five-story stair climb. We spent the game floating around the stadium several times; I enjoyed a Stroh beer for the first time in ages.

SATURDAY, JULY 26: At 5:30 p.m., Missy Gannon and I got together at the Starbucks at Square Lake and Woodward, and for the next four hours talked ad nauseam about our a plethora of topics ranging more than 30 years. Missy and I go back to 7th grade at East Hills, followed by Lahser HS and Central Michigan University. It was my second wonderful reunion of the week with someone I've known for many years. In discussing Mock Rock at the Wayside Central, other mutual friends and acquaintances, our views of the teaching professions, the rigors of dating, and numerous other areas, we got to spend quality time together. We just have to make sure our next get-together doesn't take 20 years :)

Starbucks with Missy was followed by Party with Jon & Julie Gold. Again, I was able to see and catch up with friends I haven't seen in several years: Jon and Julie, Jeremy and Beth Kahn, Rob and Jodi Mills, Kimberly Ford, Lisa and Jeff Chottner, and David Applebaum, among others. (Mark and Kelly Mosesso were leaving just as I arrived; Charles and Elisabeth had to take off shortly thereafter; Miriam and Brian left before I arrived). Analysis: plenty of food and beverages; I still don't know mah jong; and South Park is still funny as all hell.

SUNDAY, JULY 27: Sunday was Charles and Elisabeth's anniversary, and the family got together for brunch at Tam O'Shanter. It was a much smaller, more intimate version of the previous Sunday - all 10 of us (well, 11 including Mellow), celebrating another milestone.

Sunday was also the last day of my trip in Detroit; I spent the afternoon and early evening en route to Cleveland and the home of Naomi and Matt Kall.

MONDAY, JULY 28: The morning was spent at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum with Suzanne Watson, my fellow PBC debate coach who calls Cleveland her hometown (and was in town as well). It was a groovy time together, checking out the special exhibits (The Doors; The Making of The Beatles' Help; Baseball Rocks!), the amazing wardrobes of performers on display (Madonna, ZZ Top, Elvis, the 2008 inductees), and the multitude of inductee signatures (now moved to the 3rd floor). I've been to the RRHF several times, and am always amazed by what I experience there. Good times with good company equal a great experience.

After experiencing exhibits like Baseball Rocks!, I got to experience Baseball at the Jake - um, I mean, at Progressive Field (formerly known as Jacobs Field), as the Indians took on the Tigers. Matt, Naomi, Hannah (their daughter) and I spent time in the bleachers watching Detroit get shut out by Paul Byrd, 5-0.

A couple interesting observation:
(1) This was the first time I ever saw a string quartet perform the National Anthem at a sporting event.
(2) It's very difficult to see the jumbo scoreboard from the bleachers.
(3) It's also difficult to see action on the warning track, because of the way the bleachers are designed.
(4) The Jake has far fewer distracting, annoying things going on between innings than Comerica does - and this is very refreshing.
(5) Hannah loves baseball, thanks in part to the Hot Dog Race.
(6) There is a drummer in the bleachers, who pounds the drum whenever an Indian is in scoring position. (This happened way too often, IMHO.)
(7) Quoting the movie Major League is a requirement.
(8) The Jake has a really cool area called Heritage Park, sort of an Indians All-Time Greats/Hall of Fame area, with plaques for players and tributes to Larry Doby (the first black American League player) and Ray Chapman (the only major leaguer to die due to an in-game injury).

The Jake is a really nice park, and several times I was asked how I liked Comerica versus Tiger Stadium. What a loaded question! I admit there are some aspects of Comerica I enjoy - the statues, lighting, space, no visually impaired seats - but Tiger Stadium was my childhood, my introduction to baseball, the 1984 World Series (Game 4!), the retirement of Hal Newhouser's number (which I was between home plate and the pitcher's mound for) ... how can I compare?

No comments:

Post a Comment