Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008 Road Trip - Entry 3

WEDNESDAY, JULY 23: Even though a Holocaust Memorial Center has been in metro Detroit for a while, I never managed to visit it, despite all my trips to the area the past nine years. One of my goals this time was to finally make it to the memorial. Mission accomplished!

An added bonus was that Rowe Ann Ruch, who I went to both Hebrew School and high school with, has been a volunteer at the facility for four years. She knew I was coming, as we had talked a few days earlier; at first, she didn't recognize me, though. Once we got past that potentially awkward moment (which was anything but awkward), it was a flood of memories and catching up. She introduced me to coworkers, including Miriam Foxman, who has know my family for years, and her boyfriend Dennis (who doesn't work there, officially, but was there, helping out).

Sadly, no cameras are allowed in the Holocaust Memorial Center, because the presentation is amazing ... spectacular ... beyond words, really. The Detroit-area center is the first ever established in the U.S., and combines older and newer exhibits, video, and computer technology, to bring the history of Judaism - and, specifically, the Holocaust - to life.

The first section is an introduction to the center via a comprehensive timeline, which tracks major Jewish events in a parallel track with other world events over 4,000 years. The next section details European Jewish history, with artifacts and commentaries about Jewish culture (religious beliefs, family and community lifestyle, education), and includes murals depicting life in Europe. One full wall of the room explores a history of anti-Semitism throughout Europe, and is a vivid red, symbolizing the blood of those killed in pogroms and other acts of violence.

Section three outlines the rise of the Third Reich and the Nazi Party in Germany. It includes background on the post-World War I financial issues Germany had imposed upon it that led to the rise of Hitler, and how - after his assumption of power - Jews were systematically stripped of all human rights. It then slides into details on the "Final Solution," the Nazi's attempt to annihilate the Jews of Europe (and, eventually, the rest of the world) through deportation and the creation of death camps. From here we crossed The Abyss, where multiple videos showing the torture and degradation of Jews in death camps, as well as their liberation by Allied soldiers.

Next is the Post-WWII section, where visitors can review various war aftermaths, including the arrests, trials and sentencing of Nazis at Nuremburg, and the fight to emigrate to the area now known as Israel (which was still under British rule at the time).

Finally, there is an International Institute of the Righteous, where thousands of non-Jews are recognized for their role in saving Jews, knowing they were putting their lives on the line as well.

After the walk-through, Rowe and I talked more about both the Holocaust Center and what we've been up to the past 25-plus years. (Yeah, it's been that long!) All in all, the morning/afternoon was insightful in multiple ways.

Wednesday was also the day my mother went to do "yartzeit" for her father. Each year on the Jewish anniversary of the death of a loved one, a proper commemoration should take place. Mom and Oscar went to synagogue, and the whole family - all 11 of us (including Mellow) - went to dinner at the Honey Tree, a family favorite at Northwestern Highway and Orchard Lake Road.

THURSDAY, JULY 24: Today was my day for a yartzite of sorts, as I - with Charles and Lionel - went to Hebrew Memorial Gardens to visit our deceased loved ones - dad, Grandpa Joseph, Grandma Sally, Bubbe Rose, Zayde Max, Uncle Abe, and others. Every year I come up here, I make sure to visit them; last year was the first summer I didn't travel to Michigan since moving to Florida in 1999, so I had some additional catching up to do.

This year is a little different than past years, though, because it's a milestone year. August 12 will be the 20th anniversary of my father Leonard's passing, and I am a bit more melancholy than usual, even though the actual anniversary is still a few weeks away.

Last year, I poured my heart out in a different blog, so I'm not going to rehash all of those comments. Suffice to say, August 12 is a bittersweet day on the calendar. My father's loss definitely left a void in our lives, collectively and individually. We've had our successes and our failures – some of which I remember, some of which escape my mind, some of which I don't consider, some of which I never knew about in the first place.

However, when August 12 rolls around, I think of my father's parents, and in particular the Candy Geer poem/book they gave me when I was eight days old … and the conclusion to that poem, "Six White Horses":

He's in the ground, he cannot be,
he should be right here holding me.
But Mommy says I must be good,
so I'll stand as Daddy would.
We visited all of the gravesites - and I am soooo proud of Lionel, who joined Charles and myself in placing various rocks and stones on the markers, in the long-held custom of Jews. (No one's entirely certain of the origin of the tradition, but most people believe that the tradition is borne out of the desire to mark your visit somehow - to let the world know, "Someone was here. This person is not forgotten.") Lionel, Joshua and Samuel are three very special boys, and if there were a reason I'd uproot and move back to Michigan, it would be to spend more time with them and see them grow up. I'm grateful for the time I've been able to spend with my nephews so far on this visit.

After visiting everyone, we went to lunch at a small diner near Charles' Berkley home, and followed that up with a diagnostic (of sorts) of my MacBook. I'm having problems with maintaining a connection with wireless routers. After some testing, we decided it would probably be better to visit the local Apple Store in Troy, as tech support was not able to help. Unfortunately, they were booked solid, so I set up an appointment for Friday morning.

I enjoyed dinner with Miriam, Brian, Joshua and Samuel, and we topped off the meal with a trip to Dairy Queen. Yay DQ! I love the Reese's PB Cup Blizzard, but opted for the Girl Scout Thin Mint version this time - an excellent choice! After returning to the Halprin household, I had the chance to read Joshua two bedtime stories for the second consecutive night - "Blue Train Green Train" (about Thomas the Engine), and a story from a collection about Frog and Toad Together.

More to come after Friday's visit to Apple - and later to Comerica Park - andy my (hopeful) lunch with Missy Gannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment