Friday, January 4, 2019

No Trump Thursdays

Last month, I made a number of resolutions heading into 2019.

One of the more interesting ones was to make my Facebook Thursdays "Trump-free" zones.

"Because I am trying to clean up some of the toxins from my life, THURSDAYS will now be NO TRUMP THURSDAYS on my Facebook wall. I won't post anything Trump. I'll delete Trump posts by others. #NoTrumpThursdays," I proudly proclaimed on December 23.

The general consensus was that, given my online political posturing, this might be one of the resolutions first to fall. I couldn't really argue the idea; I knew, once I posted it, that maintaining the resolution would be extremely difficult.

But it was worth a shot.

Yesterday was the first test of this resolution. And it was challenging. After all, it was the day new federal elected officials were sworn in, and Nancy Pelosi re-took the U.S. House of Representatives majority speaker position, and Donald Trump held an impromptu press conference where nothing happened.

And, of course, the government shutdown was a hot topic, with the Democrats holding their line of "no border wall money" and the Republicans saying "We'll keep the government shut down until Hell freezes over!" (Or words and actions to that effect.)

All this was capped with an amazing Dance Fever viral video featuring freshman U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez doing her best Ally Sheedy imitation whilst attending Boston University a decade ago. I mean, all I know is, any dance moves I make that end up going viral would not only end any opportunity for me to win public office, but would make babies cry and make women cower in fear.

(Sidebar: the more I learn about AOC, the more I like her. I don't know how effective she'll be at politics, but she brings fresh energy and a wonderfully positive attitude into an arena essentially void of both these qualities. And she's got the establishment from both major parties on their heels. Welcome to the New World Order!)


So, yeah ... it was challenging. But it was achieved. Nary a mention of the POTUS on my timeline. For a brief moment in time, he ... did ... not ... exist.

And the world was a better place.

One down, many to go.

Now, to make Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays Trump-free ... THAT would be a challenge of epic proportion.

No comments:

Post a Comment