Saturday, August 1, 2015

The New Fitness Era

I have been using the FitBit One for just over three years as a way of tracking my daily steps, as well as how many calories I burn. It was a $100 investment from Best Buy, and it has served as a really nice and effective way to help focus on my much-needed workout routine.

This doesn't mean I've been consistent with that whole workout routine, but when I have been focused and locked in, it has definitely made a positive impact.

But FitBit One's days are numbered. About 18 months ago, the clip that attached to my waistband broke, so it became necessary to carry the tracker in my pants pocket. About three weeks ago, it began not powering fully. Last night, it started to crack along one of the seams. Basically, the FitBit's life is coming to an end.

Normally, this might mean I need to drop another chunk of change for a newer, still amazing step tracker. Except, as it turns out, I already have a replacement, and it's looking like a very nice upgrade: my new iPhone 6, which has a built-in, low-power step tracking sensor that automatically populate this data with information about my physical activity. The sensor tracks the steps I take, the distance I walk or run, and the flights of stairs I climb.

That's what the FitBit One does.

The iPhone tracker also connects with MyFitnessPal, the online calorie counter and diet plan to which I enter meals and supplements on a daily basis.

Which is also what the FitBit One does.

So basically, my iPhone is now capable of replicating the FitBit, which is pretty darn nice to know.

This isn't a done deal yet. For comparison today, I have used both the FitBit (which, while falling apart, is still operational), the iPhone Health app, and the free-to-download Pedometer++ app, to see how accurate the trio are at tracking. As of 3pm, here's what the numbers say:

iPhone Health: 9,194 steps (4.09 miles)
Pedometer++: 9,321 steps (4.1 miles)
FitBit One: 7,646 steps (3.46 miles)

I'm a bit concerned that the FitBit stats are quite a bit different from the other two; however, the major difference took place when I was on the stationary bike at the gym today, not the elliptical or other regular walking activities. I'm not sure if this means the FitBit isn't accurate there, or if the other two trackers are in error.

I'll be using all three for the next few days, since it will allow me to better compare/contrast the apps and see how consistent they are. Plus, it will allow me to do a bit more research. But right now, it looks like the FitBit run will be ending by next week.

CAMPAIGN 2016 NEWS OF THE DAY:

FACEPALM NEWS OF THE DAY:
From The Boston Globe: "Cambridge cab drivers plan strike for Monday" - Mad at Uber for competing with you? Going on strike should teach them a lesson."

FLORIDA NEWS OF THE DAY:
From NBC 2: "Man attempts to chew off fingerprints while in patrol car" - The best-laid plans of ... ok, REBOOT: The worst-laid plans, also.

WEIRD NEWS OF THE DAY:
From Rocket News: "Girls, drink all you want! “Hangover Makeup” is in!" - No word on whether "Walk of Shame Makeup" is next.

SPORTS NEWS OF THE DAY:
From The New York Daily News: "Wilmer Flores, nearly traded, homers in 12th to push Mets past Nationals, 2-1" - One love feeds the fire. One heart burns desire. Wonder who's cryin' now?

VIDEO OF THE DAY:
In the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade, and he carries the reminders of every drunken idiot ...


MUSIC VIDEO OF THE DAY:
The Grateful Dead, "Touch of Grey"


No comments:

Post a Comment