Thursday, March 12, 1992

Arguments Against School Are Flawed

ANNOUNCER: Hello, and welcome to "Let's Pretend!" - the call-in radio show where you, the voting public, get to have your wildest fantasies and opinions shattered by Paul the Prophet.

Today's topic is the March 27 West Branch-Rose City new school millage vote. And now ... here's Paul!

PAUL: Thank you, and welcome to the show. Let's go to the phone lines. Hello, you're on "Let's Pretend!"

CALLER: Yeah, I think it's just terrible that the school district is holding this election when all the senior citizens are down in Florida. It's a conspiracy, I tell you. They're the ones who have limited income, and they don't have a say in the vote.

PAUL: Hold on. I think your logic is all messed up here. First of all, there's this thing called an absentee ballot, which is designed for voters who will be out of the area to vote anyway. So saying the snowbirds are being denied their chance to vote is 100 percent wrong.

Secondly, having the seniors out of town has nothing to do with setting March 27 as the millage vote. The first one was held in late September, and the district had to wait six months before having another election. March 27 happens to be 181 days after the first vote.

One more thing: If this vote fails, the district still has a chance to get a third vote in during the current fiscal year, which ends September 30.

That's why the election is taking place now.

OK, who's next?

CALLER: I am. Listen, I am sick and tired of hearing how crowded these schools are. When I was growing up, I was in a one-room school, and I got a good education. Kids today got it easy.

PAUL: You might be right, sir. But schools today have to follow certain guidelines, laws which were not around when you were growing up. If they don't, then they lose out on state funds.

It's almost like the state is holding money hostage. For example, if there are too may students in the classrooms, the schools lose money because of overcrowding.

Also, this is a lot different world than when you were growing up. Kids have to learn how to use computers. Even 10 years ago, this was unheard of. Using and learning this kind of technology is mandatory if today's students want to have any hope of job success in the future.

Hello, you're on the air. What's your name?

CALLER: This is Bill. I'm a first-time caller.

PAUL: Welcome to the show, Bill. What's on your mind?

CALLER: Well, I'm from West Branch. I live in the city, have all my life. I think it's pretty lousy that the district decided to place this new school out in the boonies, next to the high school. I think putting the high school out there was pretty stupid, too.

PAUL: Well, Bill, where should the new school be?

CALLER: It should be in West Branch. In the city. That's where it belongs.

PAUL: In the city? Where in West Branch are you going to find adequate room for a junior high school? I don't think there is any room.

Also, saying that a new school belongs in West Branch is pretty absurd. If anything, having it near Ogemaw Heights High School - in the middle of the district - is probably the best place for this school

Furthermore, it's called the West Branch-Rose City district. The junior high is supposed to be for students from both communities. I find it pretty amazing that other districts, such as Whittemore-Prescott and Standish-Sterling, don't squabble over territorial rights like this district does.

I think it's a pretty childish, terribly biased and stupid argument. We have time for one more caller. Hello?

CALLER: I'm sick and tired of my taxes going up, of footing the bill. If we get a new school, that means my taxes are going to rise. I can't afford it anymore.

PAUL: Well, I can't argue with that one. Yes, taxes will go up - about 2.3 mills for the new school, along with 1.8 mills to run the school for two years. That's also on the ballot.

But I also think it's worth it. Education is power. It is the key to success. And I believe that a new school, with all the advantages it offers to today's youth, is worth the price.

This article originally appeared in the Ogemaw County Herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment