Thursday, October 10, 1991

Everyone Shares Blame In Whittemore-Prescott Football Loss

One of Bob Dylan's lesser-known, but more powerful, pieces is a song called "Who Killed Davey Moore?"

Its lyrics detail the aftermath of a death in the boxing ring, and how everyone associated with the fight - the fans, referee, sports writer, manager and other fighter - all refused to take the blame.

If one took the message to heart, and used it to describe the football follies which have taken place at Whittemore-Prescott this year, it would probably sound something like this:

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not I," said the football player, after putting up with peer nay-sayers.
"I was out there on the field, playing with pain, refusing to yield.
Until we lost too many guys; to continue would have been suicide.
By nature, I am not a quitter - to be labeled as such is rather bitter.
But it wasn't me who made it fall. You can't blame me at all."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not I," said the football fan, who would pepper the team with verbal slams.
"I'm a Cardinal, through and through. Sure, I knock them at times - what else is there to do?
These guys are my friends, they know I'm kidding. You know I'd be cheering them if they were winning.
It wasn't me who made them fall. You can't blame me at all.."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not us," said the football mom and dad, who cheered good plays made by their lad.
"We supported him through and through. It's what all good parents are supposed to do.
It's Cardinals spirit that's the key. Homecoming - that's for all to see.
Let them crown the king and queen during halftime - the way it's supposed to be.
It wasn't us who made it fall. You can't blame us at all."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not I," said another father. "I played football without any bother
To pain, or sleet, or snow or rain. I played no matter what kind of weather came.
He might get injured, that's for sure. But it's part of the game, he will endure.
If he wants to play, he knows the risks. And so do I - I signed that waiver slip.
You can't blame me at all. It wasn't me who made it fall."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not I," said another fan, who left the team by his own command.
"I played enough before this year. It's not opponents or pain I fear.
I was just tired of the game. I'm not going to holler or complain.
They could have used me on the team - but I had bigger, better dreams.
I didn't want to play no more," he said.
"I'd rather sit around with my dreams and be bored.
No, it wasn't me who made it fall. You can't blame me at all."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not us," said the School Board, which had heard the arguments two weeks before,
And decided it was worth the chance to keep the program as its Friday night dance.
"We listened to what everyone had to say, and we think it's OK to play.
Of course, we saw this coming down, but we stayed 'status quo' - after all, Friday football is a good show.
But it wasn't us who made it fall. No, you can't blame us at all."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

"Not I," said the football coach who saw the problems rapidly approach.
"We were small in numbers, yes, it's true. But you learn to cope. That's all you can do.
Could I have stopped this from taking place? I suppose. But now, that doesn't matter. It's too late.
The buck stops here, I realize. But it's not as if we didn't try.
Still, we didn't have backup prepared at all. But it wasn't me who made it fall."

Who killed Whittemore?
How come it died, and what's the reason for?

This article originally appeared in the Ogemaw County Herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment