Thursday, January 17, 1991

Oil's Not A Reason To Slide Into War

Several years ago, a newspaper political cartoonist drew up then-Israeli leader Menachim Begin's "Peaceful Withdrawal of America" scenario.

As you may well remember, the United States was asking Israel to return portions of land it had won in war to her Arab neighbors. And the cartoonist, playing off this request, made some light of a "what-if-we-turned-the-tables" spoof.

What if the United States were forced to return all its previously-conquered territory?

Would we give back lands to France, Spain, Mexico? Would we dance with wolves and return parts of this country to the Native Americans?

This cartoon comes to mind in light of the current Persian Gulf situation, where we are imposing that Iraq leave its conquered territory and let the Kuwaiti government - currently in exile - return to power.

As I write this, the United States and Iraq are preparing to become larger-than-life versions of the World Wrestling Federation. You know, "In this corner, Uncle Sam 'The Ultimate Warrior' America, and in this corner, 'Hulk' Hussein."

But even as I joke about the Persian Gulf crisis, it is important to realize that the events taking place are shaping our lives this very minute.

Let's face it: War is no joke. We saw that in Vietnam and we're seeing it again now.

And as I sit here, punching out these words, I am filled with confusion and rage.

Most of my confusion regards the reason we've stuck our butts in the sand of Saudi Arabia in the first place.

I'd like to believe it has something to do with freedom, which is what this great and wonderful country is supposed to stand for. I'd like to believe the United States is trying to right a wrong which has been committed by a volatile, untrustworthy Arabic leader.

I'd like to presume our interests have nothing - not a thing - to do with big business, or oil reserves, or politics, or whatever else comes to mind.

I'd like to assume it;s because we, as America, are doing the right thing. That for once we haven't placed ourselves in a Catch-22 situation.

But I cannot. My confusion over the reasons leaves me numb and angry.

I am not a supporter of war. When the battle cries of hawks and doves are heard, my megaphone will be on the side of peace.

Every time I think of why we've sent thousands of soldiers and millions of tax dollars to the Gulf area, my mind tells me it's oil.

We could be sending our monies to assisting the homeless, not to the Gulf.

But instead, we send it overseas.

Oil rules. Oil commands. Oil is like a god that drives us, because it drives our automobiles.

It's not freedom of people we're interested in. It's freedom of business.

I wish I didn't feel so. I wish I could watch the news or see President George Bush's lips move with words like "freedom" and "democracy" and not tie in the big business factor so quickly, so presumptuously.

But I do.

And I'm not alone. Across the nation this past weekend, there were peace vigils. Protests stated. Flags burned.

And to those of you who are opposed to that last part, let me say that I'd rather we be burning flags in protest of a questionable war, than laying that same flag over a casket of a soldier who was killed in battle.

And that's the prospect a war would give us.

Again.

This article originally appeared in the Ogemaw County Herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment