Monday, August 14, 1989

The End of the Innocence

It was a year ago Saturday. The incredibly long, hot, rainless summer was reaching its peak.

It was a moment that changed my life.

My dad, Leonard, died.

Dad was a wealth of knowledge to everyone who met him. He was an osteopathic physician who took pride in what he was doing, the consummate professional both in and out of the office.

He was a worldly man, one who knew a lot about situations in far-away political hotbeds like El Salvador, Nicaragua, the Philippines and the Middle East. Much of my political upbringing and information came from him, but he would always make me go and dig up the complete story.

Dad wanted me to learn as much as possible. But he wanted me to do the research. If I was truly interested in the topic, he reasoned, I would want to find it on my own. Of course, he was right.

The mourning is over now. Life, so they say, goes on. And I no longer try to rationalize a situation which cannot be rationalized. But his life - and, ultimately, death - made a major impact on me, one which I cannot celebrate completely because he is not here to see my achievements.

One of the things that differed between me and my dad was sports. I was a sports junkie, waking up early to find the morning newspaper, eagerly digging through the sports section for stories, statistics, box scores, features and whatever else I could get my hands on. I lived, breathed and ate a continual sports diet.

I would take the stats for the Tigers, dissect them into a million different modes and try to figure out meaningless items, like why Ron LeFlore was hitting .316 with runners in scoring position and one out.

Dad, on the other hand, was much less sports-minded. Unlike the stereotype which followed his profession, he did not play golf. He enjoyed watching sporting events, usually live, but never really got all bent out of shape if a player had an off-day. Among other things, he couldn't understand why professional athletes got paid the way they did.

While I have no answer to his question, I can appreciate his thoughts. It comes down to priorities.

As I have grown older, I have learned not to take sports as seriously as I used to. Sports, as entertainment, are not a live-and-die nature. Let's face it: If it comes down to Alan Trammell blasting a 1-2 pitch to Neptune to defeat the Red Sox, or the threat of a nuclear warhead being dropped on my house within the next 10 minutes, which is more important?

But Dad liked watching sports on occasion, especially when one of his kids was on the field. My brother, Charles, was involved in a youth soccer program for several years, and my sister, Miriam, took up gymnastics for a while.

For six years, I played Little League baseball, and - despite his hectic schedule - Dad would come to almost every game to watch me play.

I'm the first to admit I wasn't the next Ted Williams when it came to swinging a bat - I think I had around 15 career hits in those six seasons - but there he was, on the foul line, home or away, sitting in his lounge chair next to my mom, Adele, and talking with the other parents.

Dad never forced me to become a .400 hitter. He didn't stay up until all hours of the morning, trying to improve my swing. He never imposed that I play baseball. He knew it was something I liked to do, regardless of how I did, and stood by me all the time - no matter how I played.

And I appreciate that, probably more now than I did then.

When I was growing up, our family would head down to Tiger Stadium once or twice a year to catch a game. Dad would pack us up in the station wagon and we'd head south on I-75 to the corner of Michigan and Trumbull to catch some summertime action.

These were the days the Tigers couldn't buy a win, when the lineup included names like Duke Sims, Tom Veryzer, Ben Oglivie and Joe Coleman. Steve Kemp was still in the minors, and Ralph Houk was the manager.

We'd usually catch a Saturday afternoon game. For some reason, it always seemed like it was against Milwaukee or California. I'd always ask Dad to buy me a program when we entered the stadium, so I could keep track of the scoring line. He would, and I was happy.

It was a time of innocence, I suppose.

But times change, perceptions are altered, as we grow older. I'm still happy when I'm at the ballpark, and I still can't hit worth a lick. So I write instead, with every word, every thought, every paraphrase and quote reminding me just a little more of Dad.

When writing, I live by the motto, "I want to be perfect and get better every day." It's one my dad lived by, and one I want to achieve.

Thanks for the memories, Dad. I'll always love you.

This article originally appeared in The Marshall Chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment