Friday, December 23, 1988

The New Kid In Town

Let's begin with a memory.

Almost six years ago - a February afternoon in Mt. Pleasant - I became part of a sports conspiracy.

It involved a basketball game, the Central Michigan University police department and some toilet paper.

The CMU basketball team was, at the time, not among the squads most likely to be invited to the NCAA tournament. During the 70s, the Chippewa home court - Rose Arena - was known as the "Snake Pit," a place opposing teams dreaded to visit, because of the intensity and quality of CMU.

But hard times had come across the Snake Pit by 1983. "Bad" cannot begin to describe the way the Chippewas tried to play the game. Attendance at the home games was rather sparse. Rose was barely filling 1,000 of the 6,000 available seats.

We, the concerned students, were determined to bring some life back to the ailing Chips.

So a plan was devised. Perhaps the greatest plan ever formulated for showing team spirit. When the first Central basket fall, we would throw toilet paper from the stands.

What better way to get the crowd and team fired up?

Central was playing Kent State that fateful day. As soon as Central scored its first basket, the court became an instant sea of white. We threw something like 400 roles of the stuff. It was, indeed, an impressive sight.

Unfortunately, the police were watching.

Guess who got kicked out of the game for "inciting a riot"?

Memories and sports go together - always have, always will.

The players are not the only people affected by the event. They are the centerpiece, the actors on stage, performing for all to see and critique.

Just as with dramatic performances, there are critics. In the sports world, they are known as fans. Every mover every moment of a game is scrutinized and diagnosed. Favor or dissatisfaction can be felt as the game progresses.

Then there's me. I'm the person who tries to be as objective as possible in reporting the event.

One of the stereotypes of the sports genre is the concept of the "big game." There are winners and losers (and a lot of ties in hockey). My job is to bring these challenges, heartbreaks and thrills to you, as openly and honestly as possible.

That's what this job is all about. Challenges.

Starting a new job is a challenge, too.

Reaching out to a new audience can test your nerves, your sense of security.

I don't know you. But I know sports. And so do you.

With the world of sports becoming even more encompassing, we already have quite a bit in common.

I know you have questions. Let me try to answer some.

What can you expect from me? I'll be talking to the players and coaches, to bring you the stories which affect you.

But I'll be adding my own thoughts and opinions in columns such as this. It's my chance to give you a different perspective of sports. I'll take a look at the emotions and feelings which control or decide the games, and try to put them in a different light.

I'll touch base with the people behind the scene. After all, sports - no matter what level of play - involves much more than merely stats and scores. There's game plans, strategy and other factors to be dealt with.

I'll try to be honest. This is the major theme in writing. And sports.

Now, then ... what do I expect from you?

Only one thing: to read.

The stories I write cover Marshall and the surrounding communities.

The columns I write may be about a topic you find fascinating or depressing. I will bring my own experiences and opinions to these columns.

Whether you agree with what I write - or, indeed, how I write - is beside the point.

What is important is taking the time to read what I write. For it will be about games, matches and meets affecting people you know.

Memories. Sports is filled with them.

Let's have some good ones.

This article originally appeared in The Marshall Chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment